Friday, May 6, 2016

LGBT characters within the literary world, and beyond


LGBT characters 
within 
the literary world and beyond.




     Two of the lead characters, Jasper and Tenchi have a growing romance in the first novel of my series, that will only grow more interesting and powerful as things progress through the trilogy.

     I think it is important now, more than ever to have strong and interesting LGBTQ character represented in various platforms of entertainment media.

     If you enjoy interesting leads, with good character development, exciting battles, comedy and a plot that will make you think and keep you guessing, this book is for you!

   One of my inspirations:
Torchwood ~ Jack and Ianto.
Okay, let me explain what I mean by this. Growing up within the LGBTQ community, often times isn't easy.

When I first thought about creating two of my leads as gay men, I was kind of nervous because I didn't want the book put in a limited box with the label "gay."

   The book isn't simply about being gay. But, an exciting action packed adventure, that takes place under tragic circumstances, which bring two men together, who fall in love, while saving each other from the darkness of an evil prophecy. I truly think it is a story that can entertain all kinds of fantasy genre lovers alike.
The romance between Jack and Ianto during the run of Torchwood, showed me that if the writing had quality, fans would become very invested in the pairing. And this gave me hope that fans in the genre will embrace my characters.

How Jack Harkness gave me the courage to write my gay lead.

  I was first introduced to the flirtatious and sexy Captain Jack, while experiencing my first season of Doctor Who.
John Barrowman, instantly won me over in the role, and I followed the character into the Torchwood series. Aside from having a very cool back story as an immortal man, the character possesses many traits that make him a strong and interesting leading  LGBT character.
I saw how fans really connected with a well written character, celebrated his relationships regardless of gender, and I was inspired!

"Malec." aka Alec Lightwood and Magnus Bane.

I was instantly  hooked on the "Malec" romance from the very first time I read the Mortal Instrument series.
The creation of this pairing in a popular fantasy series, gave me hope that fans would be accepting of the pairing of my two lead men. I'm happy to see people  opening their minds and hearts to all kinds of literary romance. ( https://twitter.com/cassieclare )


Who are some of your favorite LGBTQ characters in tv, movies, anime, comic, manga (etc)???

Please post your  choices in the comment section!

Thank you for reading my blog! 
Subscribe, comment and share my link!
Thank you!

Joseph.

Please check out the following links!
Blog for new writers!   -  Facebook page Twitter: @JHarkreader
Please check out my Fund My book Campaign to donate here! Please share the link as well with other fans of the fantasy genre, thank you!

For affordable self-publish with payments as low as $99 per month! Every service an author needs! 
Manuscript editing, get your work copyrighted, print layout for ebooks and print plus marketing to help your book sell!
Check out BookFuel! https://www.bookfuel.com/
https://www.facebook.com/BookFuelbyWaveCloud/

No comments:

Post a Comment